Sunday, October 26, 2008

Biking and Big Bugs

Normally, with a title like that and biking you would think I'm going to share the latest delicacy on my latest bike ride that couldn't get out of my way fast enough and became a high-protein meal. However, that is not the point of this post. This was the last weekend for the Big Bugs exhibit at the Western Ky Botanical Garden. These are huge sculptures by David Rogers made from fallen timber and other tree parts and made into beautiful works of art. These bugs are up to 15 feet tall and weigh up to 1,200 pounds, and include ants, a dragonfly, a praying mantis and a spider. It has been at the Western Ky Botanical Garden since August and will be migrating to another location after this weekend. I wanted to get one last look at them and the works of art located around town, created by local artists and inspired by this exhibit. I'll post pictures of these other works this week.

I biked around town taking pictures of the local bugs and then headed to the Western Ky Botanical Garden, on Hwy 60 West and Carter Road. Hwy 60 West is a busy 4 lane road, but there wasn't much traffic on it Saturday afternoon and the cars gave me enough room to get there safely. It was a lovely fall day, with a slightly chilly breeze. After touring the exhibit I biked home. I had already biked to swim training and was ready for an afternoon nap.

Today's Mileage: 12.5 miles
2008 YTD Mileage: 635.4 miles
Miles to reach 2008 goal of 750 miles: 114.6
Avg Price of Gas in the 'boro: $2.57!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter