Monday, June 15, 2009

Lakewood Valley Triathlon

It was a hot and muggy morning. This was my third year doing the local triathlon and it had the largest participation yet - 240 people! Once again, my cheering section was in town - thanks Mom! There were lots of familiar faces and some new ones doing the race for the first time. The swim was a challenge, despite no currents or waves, other than the wake of people passing me. This year I managed to stay ahead of the 2nd wave, except for the speed demons.

When I got on the bike, though, I didn't feel totally comfortable and that spelled trouble, since that is my strongest leg. I had also forgotten about all the "rolling hills", or maybe I blocked it out from years past. I did not forget the mile long ascent, on one of the hills, though. From what I heard, lots of people had trouble with that one this year. Must have been the heat!

The run, again, is a trail run around the lake. it would actually be a very nice hike, if I hadn't just swam and biked. However, I was almost done, so I gutted it out for a photo op and then limped my way through the run. I wasn't hurt, but didn't have enough in my legs to run much. I finished, though. Most of my friends had great times and enjoyed themselves. I did, too, but my time did not improve and that was a bit disappointing. There is always next year, though.

This weekend's Mileage: 800m swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run
2009 YTD Mileage: 192.84 miles
Miles to 2009 goal of 1,000 miles: 807.16

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter